To Report Fraud, Waste, Abuse, and Mismanagement
The OIG was created by the same legislation that created DFC, the Better Utilization of Investments Leading to Development Act of 2018 (BUILD Act).
Our mission is to prevent, detect, and deter fraud, waste, and abuse in DFC’s programs and operations around the world by conducting audits, investigations, inspections, and evaluations of DFC's projects, systems, employees, and contractors.
In addition to conducting audits and investigations, the OIG:
- Provides independent and objective policy guidance and recommendations for improving DFC programs and operations.
- Reports regularly to Congress, the DFC Board of Directors, and DFC management, including through semiannual reports to Congress, audit reports, and correspondence.
- Consults with DFC management about incidents of fraud, waste, and abuse and methods for preventing such conduct.
Semi Annual Reports to Congress and Testimony
Strategic Plans and Top Management Challenges
Audit Announcements, Reports, Open Recommendations, and Correspondence
- Authorities and Responsibilities
Like other federal OIGs, the DFC OIG derives its authority from the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended (IG Act). Under the IG Act, IGs are required to be nonpartisan and are selected without regard to political affiliation. Although OIGs are located within their respective agencies, they operate independently from agency management to provide unbiased oversight.
Under the IG Act, the OIG has broad statutory powers to conduct its audits, investigations, and other oversight responsibilities. These powers include:
- Obtaining timely access to agency records and information.
- Conducting criminal, civil, and administrative investigations.
- Requesting information and assistance from other government agencies.
- Issuing subpoenas to obtain records and information.
- Taking sworn testimony.
- Having direct and prompt access to the agency head (DFC CEO).
DFC OIG is an active member of the Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency (CIGIE). Statutorily established, CIGIE is an independent entity within the executive branch and strives to address integrity, economy, and effectiveness issues that transcend individual government agencies. Its mission to increase professionalism and create a well-trained and highly skilled workforce is accomplished by developing policies, standards, and approaches used by Inspectors General OIGs. CIGIE also created Oversight.gov to consolidate in one place all public reports from federal OIGs in order to improve access to independent information about the federal government. To learn more, please visit CIGIE and Oversight.gov websites.
The OIG conducts criminal, civil, and administrative investigations of individuals and entities alleged to have engaged in fraudulent, illegal, or improper conduct involving DFC programs or operations. We investigate DFC employees, investment partners, contractors, subcontractors, and outside parties suspected of wrongdoing. Our investigations are worldwide and range from employee misconduct to cybercrime and multi-million-dollar frauds. We work closely with the U.S. Department of Justice, other federal and state law enforcement agencies, and foreign counterparts to investigate and prosecute fraud and criminal activity involving DFC. Through our work, we seek to hold accountable those who have harmed DFC and to deter future fraud and misconduct.
If you wish to report allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement, please contact our Hotline Toll Free at 1+833-OIG-4DFC (833-644-4332) or submit your complaint online here.
- Whistleblower Rights and Protections
DFC employees, as well as DFC contractors, subcontractors, and partners, have the right to report what they reasonably believe to be evidence of wrongdoing, without reprisal for doing so.
An agency official may not retaliate against an employee for whistleblowing. See 5 U.S.C. § 2302(b)(8). Protections and remedies for whistleblowers vary by category and are summarized below and discussed in detail in the DFC OIG Whistleblower Rights and Protections document.
- Federal Employees (Direct hires)
- Nonfederal Employees (Employees of contractors, subcontractors, and borrowers)
Whistleblower Protection Coordinator
Pursuant to the Inspector General Act, DFC’s Inspector General (IG) has designated Gladis Griffith, Deputy Inspector General and General Counsel, as the Whistleblower Protection Coordinator for DFC. Duties include:
- Educating employees under DFC OIG’s oversight jurisdiction about prohibitions on retaliation for protected disclosures, as well as educating specific employees who have made or are contemplating making a protected disclosure about the rights and remedies against retaliation for protected disclosures.
- Helping the IG consider and handle protected disclosures and allegations of reprisal in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Coordinating with the U.S. Office of Special Counsel (OSC), the Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency (CIGIE), DFC, Congress, and other relevant entities regarding protected disclosures, allegations of reprisal, and implementation of whistleblower protection laws, rules, and regulations.
The Whistleblower Protection Coordinator welcomes opportunities to speak to DFC employees and contractors. Please note that the Whistleblower Protection Coordinator is prohibited from acting as an employee’s (or former employee’s) legal representative, agent, or advocate. To contact the Whistleblower Protection Coordinator, please contact the OIG Hotline toll free number at (833) OIG-4DFC (644-4332) or you may submit a Hotline request online through the OIG website.
In addition, complaints and tips concerning wrongdoing by DFC employees or within DFC programs can be submitted to the OIG Hotline.
- OIG Organization and Staff
Accountability is at the heart of OIG’s work. OIG seeks to ensure that DFC is accountable for its results and for the resources the public invests in it through independent audits, investigations, inspections, and evaluations.
Integrity is OIG’s foundation. OIG maintains the highest standards of integrity in its work for the American people, Congress, and internal and external stakeholders and strives to set the example for objectivity, accuracy, and transparency.
Respect is central to OIG's identity. OIG promotes a fair, professional, and diverse working environment to maintain the highest standards of conduct and have a deep respect for DFC's mission.Anthony “Tony” ZakelInspector GeneralGladis GriffithDeputy Inspector General, General CounselDarrell BenjaminAssistant Inspector General for AuditJohn WarrenAssistant Inspector General for InvestigationsFelicia HawkinsSenior Legislative and Public Affairs Specialist
- Press Releases
DFC OIG press releases highlight our operational, audit, and investigative work. In addition, we also re-post relevant U.S. Department of Justice and other international press releases where the OIG has jurisdiction and/or was a partner in the investigation.
- Contact DFC OIG
Please use the information below to contact the DFC Office of Inspector General.
Congressional, Media, or General Inquiries
For media or general information inquiries, contact the OIG’s Immediate Office by mail, telephone, or email.
U.S. International Development Finance Corporation
Office of Inspector General
1100 New York Avenue NW Suite 270 West
Washington, DC 20527
Use the OIG Hotline (telephone, online, mail) for complaints of fraud, waste, or abuse of DFC programs and operations, including mismanagement or violations of law, rules, or regulations by employees, contractors, or program participants.
Toll Free +1 833-OIG-4DFC (833 644-4332)
Freedom of Information Act Request
Submit FOIA requests directly to the DFC OIG FOIA Office at FOIADFCOIG@DFC.GOV
The OIG Hotline is available to report complaints of fraud, waste, or abuse in DFC's programs and operations, including mismanagement or violations of law, rules, or regulations by employees or program participants. Additional information and Hotline contact information can be found here. The toll free Hotline phone number is 833-OIG-4DFC.